On November 27-28, 2013 the Library was holding the 8th International Academic Conference dedicated to Solomon Mikhoels that united famous fine art and theatre experts, experts in culture, philologists, historians, specialists from libraries, museums and archives.
The first Conference organized by the Library took place in 1997 and since then it is held biennially with the remaining subject – “National theatre within the context of multinational culture”.
The questions raised during the Conference were the following:
- National theatre in archive funds, libraries, museums (collection, storing and researching of funds);
- National theatre phenomenon in the world culture;
- Bibliography and information resources connected with the problems of the National theatre;
- National theatres and studios historiography;
- National theatre and dramaturgy in the posters of the world theatre (translations, tours, international festivals, theatre exhibitions).
Reports and communiqués were published in the Conference information package.
The following events were held in the framework of the Conference:
- Opening of the exposition “Matvey Basov. The Gleaming of Ethnical Worlds.
Paintings and graphic works”.
- Presentation of published works “Documenting of the Theatre Heritage: dedicated to the 90th Anniversary of the Russian State Art Library. International Academic Conference” (M.: Novoye Izdatelstvo, 2013); «Theatre in the Russian poetry. Antology” (M.: Novoye Literaturnoye Obozreniye, 2013).
- The first night of a one-woman show “Cain” based on the play by George Byron (translation by I. Bunin). Staged and performed by Natalia Kogut.
In the closing part of the Conference the Director of the Library, Ada Kolganova, expressed her gratitude to all guests and participants for deep thoroughness and special relevance of the information presented by the speakers.